Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Overheard Today

A lactation/nursing video was playing on the big screen in the waiting room of my OB's office today. In the midst of it, a little 2 1/2 year old toddler goes, "Mommy, what's that baby DOING?!" Momma was beet red and so embarrassed she stayed silent and tried to shush the girl. The lady sitting across from little girl says in a thick British accent, "She's eating lunch." Little girl continues to watch in alarmed amazement, while the rest of us in the full waiting room begin to chuckle.

Although, I didn't chuckle too hard. JK is enough of a chatterbox for me to know that someday I'll be experiencing similar conversations.

The look on the momma's face reminded me of when I was about 14 or so and I had "snuck" a boyfriend over to my house when I was babysitting my twin brothers during summer vacation. Boyfriend and I were sitting on the back porch talking when one of my potty-training brothers called from inside the house, "Sister!!! I'm done poop-ing! Come wipe my bu-utt!"

I wanted to crawl into a hole. Boyfriend just laughed, while I turned 10 shades of teenaged embarrassment. I always thought that was God's way of punishing me for sneaking a boyfriend over when my parents were gone.

Do any of you parents have experiences where your little ones have said something that embarrassed you or caught you off guard?

3 comments:

Natasha said...

Yes! I was in a store with Cole and saw an older employee with quite a significant bald spot. Very loudly, Cole said, "Mommy, why doesn't that man have enough hair on his head?" The man didn't flinch, but I can't imagine my son gave him much of an ego boost with that comment!

Pandamonium said...

I once told a lady smoking in the airport that if she had Jesus in her heart, he was coughing. She stared at me and slowly put out the cigarette with a look of disdain.

I think I was around 5/6 years old...pretty sure my mom was embarrassed either way. And if Rachel is anything like me, I'm sure payback will be fun.

Mandi said...

LOLOL Panda! So true, though ....

D once pointed to a very tall and very broad shouldered black woman and exclaimed, 'Look at her funny hair Mommy!!' It was Valentine's day, the hair was tomato red and about six inches taller than her scalp. I thought I was about to get my butt kicked right there in WM.