Monday, April 27, 2009

Swine Flu

While I know I don't need to apologize, I feel the need to. Why, I'm not sure. I'm not sure if it's because I'm a worrier by nature. I'm not sure if it's because those years of infertility and pregnancy loss, have caused me to always feel like the other shoe is going to drop. I'm not sure if it's because I have a legitimate reason to worry. I don't know.

All I know for sure, is the only person in charge of my health and my family's health is me. Out of the 40 verified swine flu cases in the US, one is a few mere miles from my home, in my city. Our city's school district has closed down a local elementary school, where there has been a verified case of the swine flu with one of their students. A little too close to home if you ask me. But not only that, it is in the neighborhood directly across the street from Monkey's school. Now THAT is a little too close to home.

Call me aware. Call me prepared. Call me an over-compensator. Call me flat out paranoid. I don't care. This is being sprayed ALL OVER OUR HOUSE and then some.



Maybe this pandemic ends up being nothing. If so, then my efforts to protect ourselves causes no harm whatsoever. Either way, I'm not taking any chances. I have two little boys that need their Momma and I don't plan on doing anything to jeopardize that.

In the meantime, please pray over the family in our community that is personally affected by this.

4 comments:

The Kennedy's said...

I told the director to put wipies and sanitizer by the door for all of us to use as we come and go. CC elem. is soo close to the boys school! I told their baby teacher, K, and she was shocked to hear which school. We will be OK - the director assured me that she won't be taking any of the students in this week. so... that's good. I am hoping that none of my kiddos get it! I totally didn't think it was something I needed to worry or even think about. great.

Team Davis said...

I agree...better safe than sorry! I'm a worrier too, can't help it. But I feel like it is my job to worry about my kid. :)

Leslie said...

yup...now I'm nervous about it too!

Anna said...

Hey! I wanted to respond to a note you left on Matt and Ginny's blog :) I figured this was as good a place as any. You said that you were on a retreat and heard the speaker say that marriage isn't about making us happy, but about making us holy. That really stuck in my mind. I'm not married, but I do hope to someday be and that is a piece of advice I want to carry with me. I think it applies to all of life actually. I think a lot of times we become bitter when we think something is unfair in life. But if we realize that life isn't about us being happy, but about giving God glory and moving towards holiness, our "rights" fall away and we look at things with a God-centered focus. Thanks for the reminder. :)