Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Weekly Shopping Trip - 2/16/09

This was a tough week. I had two large priced items that I knew would be hard to work around. (Laundry detergent and N's razor blades) But I did it! And not only that, but found wiggle-room to get a few items on sale. So I'm happy!

When I got to Whole Foods, I realized there was a Dollar Tree next door. So I peeked in just to see what kinds of stuff they had. I picked up a tube of Colgate and a bottle of toilet bowl cleaner. I need to remember that this is a PERFECT place to get party stuff - tons of baby shower stuff, paper plates, cups, etc. Much better than Party City! Anyways, I knew I had two $1 bills and some change in my purse pocket. Not "technically" part of the grocery budget. I would have spent that on something splurgy. Is that considered cheating in this game?




Whole Foods Total - $3.69

Tinkyada GF Lasagna 3.69


Tom Thumb Total- $14.48

Generic Lactose Free Milk 3.29
2 Hot Pockets 2.98
Jennie O Turkey Sausage 1.50
Jennie O Italian Turkey Sausage 1.50
Split Chicken Breasts 3.86
6 pk Club Soda 1.25


Target Total - $56.68

All Free Clear 12.00 (ow!)
Sensor Razor Blades 10.30 (ow again!)
2 Jimmy Dean Sausages 4.08
Can of Tomatoes .92
Clints Salsa 3.19
Barilla Sauce 1.89
2 Avocados 1.98
Cucumber .99
Bananas .77
Lime .33
Gala apples 3.46
Red grapes 2.26
Gluten-free waffles 3.68
Frz apple juice 1.12
12 pk Sprite 3.66
Smart Balance 2.54
Brown sugar 1.27

GRAND TOTAL $74.85

Maybe someday I'll have the courage to make my own laundry detergent like Gayle does, but I'm not there yet. And I found out tonight that N said he's trying to "help" me out by not shaving so much, thus not using up his expensive razors so quickly. What a sweet husband! LOL! If you haven't done it yet, head over to Grocery Cart Challenge to see how Gayle saves money on her weekly budget.

5 comments:

Aliisa said...

From Aliisa:

I make my own laundry detergent and it works great. I even use the bar of Fels Naptha for pre-treating stains and it works better than anything I have ever done. The homemade laundry soap seriously only takes about 15 minutes to make and the savings is definately worth it!!

Anonymous said...

I got a big-ticket item this week, too! Darned toilet paper is EXPENSIVE! You know, I will start by saying that TP is one of those items I just don't skimp on - I buy what I like best, and that is fine with me.

But this week, I actually looked over my receipt, and 12 rolls of Cottonelle is $8.19!! That's 68 cents per roll.

AW said...

Suzanne, I just read somewhere where a lady cut up a flannel sheet and has a bucket in her bathroom to toss the "dirtied" home-made TP when she's done using it. They wash and re-use to save money.

Um...no. *shudder*

Like you, TP is one of those things that's a MUST HAVE and don't skimp on. Cottonelle is my brand of choice as well and sometimes I can find it on sale at Target for 6.99 for the 12 pk. Not too much off, but it helps.

Pandamonium said...

Kelly's razor blades are always a budget kill-joy...but I do enjoy those fresh-shaven kisses, so it's worth it. :)

Latte said...

I have been getting my razor's from Walgreens and CVS for less than .50 cents each (the good kinds with refills and all)

I also make my own laundry soap, and once you do it you'll wonder why you waited so long. It's that easy.