Saturday, February 21, 2009

Surprise!

When I was in the 8th grade, my best friend and I signed up for a local 3K race. For our age group, the winner got a $50 cash prize. Being the clutzy girl that spent her spare time in the art room and library, I didn't really have any high hopes of winning that race, but I thought it was going to be fun to run with my best friend. I remember her asking, "If you win, what are you going to do with the money?" I had very specific plans and explained. "I'm getting a pair of white Nikes with the pink swoosh. Or maybe the purple swoosh. I can't decide." Fast forward a few weeks after the 3K, which I did NOT win, and I find that my grandmother has bought me a present: TWO pairs of Nikes! One pair with a pink swoosh and the other with the purple. I was floored! She had been in cahoots with my best friend to find out the perfect birthday present!

*****

About 18 months after N and I started dating, we'd gotten into quite the comfortable routine. We were pretty much joined at the hip and did everything together, church, volleyball, softball, bible study, hanging out with friends. We'd experienced some tough times already, but we both thought that the soul connection was so deep, that there was no need to rush anything. Considering I'd been divorced, this was just fine with me! And N had mentioned that he had some things that he needed to accomplish before he settled down as well, so things were...nice. Not always easy, but just felt Right.

So one night, out on a date together, it seemed like any other date night. He looked hot, I felt cute, it was payday and we were splurging on sushi. After we ordered, N reached across the table to grab my hands. His were cold, sweating, and very noticeably shaking. I looked at his tense, serious face, and his eyes were red. He did not look...right. Something was wrong. Really wrong. The last time I saw this face was when he broke it to me that his grandfather had died.

With a shaky voice, he said, "I've been doing a lot of thinking lately. And I've decided that there are some major decisions that I need to make with my life."

My jaw clenched, my throat closed up, and stomach dropped into my lap.

Oh no, I've been here before. I've seen this look. He's about to break up with me! I knew things were too good to be true!

His lip trembled as he continued. I immediately averted my eyes to his shaking hands and try to keep the tears from spilling over.

This is so not how I thought things were going to be with us! I wasn't expecting anything really amazingly huge in our near future, but I REALLY didn't expect that he'd break up with me this soon!

But before I could think of a response to the inevitable departure, N was on his knee on the restaurant floor with a huge ring in a tiny blue box. I began seeing the picture like I was out of my body, floating high, watching from the ceiling. Except I was thoroughly and completely confused. I looked at his face and realized he'd been talking. I'd completely missed it!

What?

He paused, looked a little sideways at me, repeating himself. "I said, would you please spend the rest of your life with me? Will you marry me?"

Immediately, I felt snapped back into my physical body again. But my brain and tongue were still somewhere out there, not with me. I didn't know what to say, do! Eventually I said yes, but I think I might have given him a heart attack or two waiting for me to get my bearings.

I think shopping for rings is fun and probably most practical when it comes to getting the girl exactly what she wants. But I can say from experience that getting shocked with a hand-picked stone, that your man has agonized over solo for months, is more wonderful, simply because of the surprise factor!

*****

Most of you know that when I was pregnant with Monkey, I had a very strong feeling that we had a boy. So our 20 week sono with him was not a huge suprise. (I was just tickled he was still alive after what we'd been through!) This time my feelings weren't strong like before, but I definitely had a leaning, if that makes sense.

Yesterday, N and I went to my OB's office for our 20 week sonogram. We knew the drill. We'd be looking at number of heart chambers, femur length, nuchal fold thickness, and all the appropriate appendages. Or lack there of. ;-) Everything looked perfect! Although quite a mover and shaker, the little one did everything possible to hide between my placenta and uterine wall, so we had to work for every single shot. I think this time we might have a shy one on our hands.

It's times like yesterday that I realize what kind of God God is. He is All-Knowing, Ever-Present, and All-Powerful. I know that. But sometimes it's hard for me to see anything else personal in that All-EVERYTHING, you know, because He's SO big.

Laying on that sono table, I realized what a magnificently awesome FATHER our God is. Just like a grandparent that enjoys giving the perfect pair of shoes or a man who agonizes over picking out the perfect engagement ring, our Heavenly Father enjoys giving us gifts that just shock the socks off us!

.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.




I just picture Him in Heaven with a huge grin on His face, because He knows He has given us the gift that surprised us all!


We are not disappointed at all. Just very surprised! We were both already thinking pink! But the idea of Monkey tearing around with another little boy just thrills us both to pieces! Can you imagine?

The W Boys.

I have a feeling the legend has already started.

16 comments:

The Rowe Crew said...

oh yay!!!!! i'm SO SO excited for you guys. i really think you'll LOVE having two of the same...at least we do :o). can't wait to hear HIS name!

The Mills Gang said...

Congratulations! I was right! I am so happy for you guys! I agree with Jessica--having the same is just so much fun and you know that these two will just be the best of friends!! What a blessing!

Leslie said...

Woo Hoo! I'm so excited for you guys. Boys are so much fun. But I am just a little biased... :) I think it's awesome to have brothers so close together in age. JK will be a great big brother.

And baby W looks healthy and on schedule?

AW said...

Everything looks good so far! He is measuring about a week and a half ahead of schedule, so this might be early July instead of mid. We'll see...

Oh...and names. We've had a couple girl names picked forever. Boy names? Nowhere close to even kinda liking one. I have a feeling we'll have another, "Let's meet him and see what he looks like" situations.

Raina said...

Yeah! I'll ditto the others that having two of the same is totally fun! They'll have a blast together, and you're a perfect boy mom!

McMama said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Mandi said...

I was totally wrong! Perhaps it was hopeful wishing on my part - I want everyone I know to have a little pink in their lives. ;) That being said, I LOVE LOVE LOVE having two of the same! And since y'all are doing such a great job with JK, I'm sure this little one will be no different. Congratulations!!

Karrie said...

Congratulations! For once, I don't even mind being wrong:-) So fun!!

Linda Box Taylor said...

Congrats on another little boy! I'm with you on a name. We totally had a boy name picked out and now we have to come up with a girl name and we can't agree on anything.

Cubstarr said...

Hee hee! Congrats!!

He looks a little confused! Now you'll have two little monkey's running around keeping you on your toes!

KC said...

YAY for boys!!! I'm so excited for you, and I can't wait to watch our four boys growing up together! Maybe our little ones will also have a lot in common! :)

Natasha said...

Congratulations! I will echo what others have said...it is great having two of the same...not to mention, you already have all the boy stuff! :-)

Unknown said...

Yay!!! You will love having 2 boys! Monkey will love having a brother! How exciting.

Unknown said...

Can I tell you that I hate to admit when I'm wrong? I wasn't right this time :( HAHA!
Congratulations and I'm thrilled to hear that MB's little buddy is doing so well :)
love you guys!
xoxoxo

Team Davis said...

Yea for a healthy baby boy!! Congrats! You are going to have so much fun and I know JK is too! What a TEASER you are!! I had a feeling this post was going to be about your upcoming arrival but it took EVERYTHING in me not to just skip to the end to see the results! :) I agree...surprises are nice, which I why I read every word before finding out your news. Congrats again! Your two boys are going to be best buds!

Anonymous said...

Congratulations!!! There will never be a dull moment at your house!