Friday, February 27, 2009

I'm a Slow Learner

Since Monkey is still in his crib and probably will be until he’s two or so, we’ve been in a bit of a quandary as to where to have M2 sleep. I really wanted to get a bassinette on casters, as it’d be practical on our hardwoods until we could get Monkey in a big boy bed. Which would be about the time we’d need M2 to move to a real crib, thus the desire for a bassinette. Leaning into a pack-n-play isn’t ideal after a C-section.

But if y’all have ever shopped for bassinettes, you’ll know that they are so NOT us. Even the boyish ones are white and frilly and so uber-girly, it’s not even funny. And the ones that are more along our style (dark, clean, contemporary/modern lines) are upwards in the $300 - $500 range. More than a crib!!! So on a whim, I decided to check out my friend Craig and one of the first bassinettes I find is this:



Hand-made, black, on casters, storage shelf, never been used, and exactly our style! Okay, so it's really more of a cradle, but still...isn't it beauitful?

But the lady lives in JUSTIN. Oy. A long drive to get a bassinette that I might not like up close and personal. But upon emailing her, she works down at Love Field and is happy to meet us there to deal business. So next Monday, N’s spending his lunch to pick up this lovely little piece of furniture for the mere cost of $35!!! Woohoo! Even if it’s not perfect, it’s only a $35 loss, right?

Come to find out, her husband made it for a friend that ended up not being able to use it. (I got the feeling there was a sad story here.) And her twins (via IVF after failed adoptions and years of IF) are too big for it. So they just need to find a suitable home for it.

Well, hello! Here we are!

I’ve REALLY been fretting about the sleep situation in our household once M2 arrives. Why, I don’t know. You think by now, I’d learn that God has all these little details worked out. He does. Surprise, surprise, right? And in the meantime, we meet yet another woman who has an amazing story of God placing just the perfect children in her life at exactly the right time.

Why am I always so surprised at His goodness and attention to detail???

6 comments:

Pandamonium said...

$35!?!?! Are you KIDDING!

Awesome deals just make my day...even when they aren't mine. :)

Leslie said...

It is really neat-looking. And what a very cool story. I'm so glad you turned to Craig and found this!

Wendi Kitsteiner said...

WAY COOL!

We are keeping E. in a pack n play for a long while. I actually had him sleep in the top changing part the first few nights until I could bend and get him out of the main part.

Karrie said...

That is fantastic! And seriously, for $35...how perfect does it have to be to be an awesome deal?:-)

What a nice post right after reading the email you sent. God is so amazingly good to us, huh?

McMama said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
The Mac's House said...

Wow, I love it! Simple but gorgeous. Can't wait to hear how you like it in person.

Teri